As a user, you can connect the VMware Horizon Client on your local device to attached USB devices, such as headphones, for use in a remote desktop or published application.
When you use the USB redirection feature, most USB devices attached to the local device become available from menus in Horizon Client. You use these menus to connect and disconnect the USB devices. The menus also offer settings to connect automatically .
The types of USB devices that you can redirect depend on settings made by Horizon system administrator.
You can connect USB devices to a remote desktop or published application manually or automatically. You can configure auto-connect settings for all devices, or for specific devices.
|Auto-connect all devices at startup||Connects all USB devices automatically when the remote desktop or published application starts.|
|Auto-connect all devices when inserted||Connects all USB devices automatically when you insert the device in the local operating system.|
|Auto-connect device at startup or On startup||Connects the USB device automatically when the remote desktop or published application starts.|
|Auto-connect device when inserted or On insert||Connects the USB device automatically when you insert the device in the local opertaing system.|
- System settings: A Horizon system administrator must have activated the USB redirection feature on the server hosting the remote desktop or published applications.
- Local privileges: To start the services, you need administrator privileges on the local device.
The first time you start Horizon Client, a prompt offers you the option to start the services. You can also start the services from the menu bar. Click and provide the Administrator password.The first time you connect a USB device, you must provide the administrator password for the local device. Horizon Client prompts you for the password.
- Review the USB Redirection Limitations.
- Connect the USB device to the local operating system. If the USB requires drivers, the first time you connect the device to a remote desktop, prompts appear.
- Start Horizon Client and on the menu bar, click .
- If the USB services are not running, click Start remote USB services.
- Have the administrator password for the local device ready, and then click Continue.
- Enter the password and click OK.
- To configure the default USB connection behavior for the client, click the auto-connection settings you want to activate for all devices. This option applies to the USB connections in general. You can apply different behavior for each device after connecting to a remote desktop or published application.
- Connect to a server and start a remote desktop or published application.
A new screen opens specific to your selection. Certain remote desktops or published application require sign-in depending on the settings made by the system administrator.
- To connect a USB device, return to the main window of Horizon Client and then click Connection, USB.
- Click the USB device on the list, and click Continue.
While in the remote desktop or published application, you can use the USB device as you typically do on the local device. For exceptions, see USB Redirection Limitations
After connecting, USB device can take up to 20 seconds to appear in a remote desktop or published application. If a USB device is not in the list for the remote desktop or published application after several minutes, physically disconnect the USB device from the local device and then reconnect to the local device.