With the virtual printing feature, you can use local or network printers from a remote desktop without having to install additional printer drivers in the remote desktop. For each printer available through this feature, you can set preferences for data compression, print quality, double-sided printing, color, and other settings.
After a printer is added on the local client computer, Horizon Client adds that printer to the list of available printers in the remote desktop. No further configuration is required. If you have administrator privileges, you can install printer drivers on the remote desktop without creating a conflict with the virtual printer component.
This feature is not available for the following types of printers.
USB printers that use the USB redirection feature to connect to a virtual USB port in the remote desktop.
You must disconnect the USB printer from the remote desktop to use the virtual printing feature with it.
The Windows feature for printing to a file.
Selecting the Print to file check box in a Print dialog box does not work. Using a printer driver that creates a file does work. For example, you can use a PDF writer to print to a PDF file.
This procedure applies to Windows 7 or Windows 8.x remote desktops. The procedure is similar, but not exactly the same, for other types of Windows remote desktops.
- In the Windows 7 or Windows 8.x remote desktop, click .
- In the Devices and Printers window, right-click the default printer, select Printer Properties from the context menu, and select the printer.
Virtual printers might appear as <printer_name>, <printer_name>(s<session_ID>), or <printer_name>#:<number> in the remote desktop.
- In the Printer Properties window, click the Device Setup tab and specify which settings to use.
- On the General tab, click Preferences and specify which settings to use.
- In the Printing Preferences dialog box, select the different tabs and specify which settings to use.
For the Page Adjustment advanced setting, VMware recommends that you retain the default settings.
- Click OK.