Horizon Agent and Horizon Client, and the remote desktops and client systems on which you install the agent and client software, must meet certain requirements to support the HTML5 Multimedia Redirection feature.
With HTML5 Multimedia Redirection, if an end user uses the Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge browser in a remote desktop, HTML5 multimedia content is sent to the client system. The client system plays the multimedia content, which reduces the load on the ESXi host, and the end user has a better audio and video experience.
- Remote desktop
- Horizon Agent must be installed on the virtual desktop or RDS host for published desktops with the HTML5 Multimedia Redirection custom setup option selected. Beginning with Horizon Agent 7.10, the HTML5 Multimedia Redirection custom setup option is removed and HTML5 Multimedia Redirection is installed by default. For more information, see the topics about installing Horizon Agent in the Setting Up Virtual Desktops in Horizon and Setting Up Published Desktops and Applications in Horizon documents.
- The HTML5 Multimedia Redirection group policy settings must be configured on the Active Directory server. See the topics about configuring HTML5 Multimedia Redirection in the Configuring Remote Desktop Features in Horizon document.
- The Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Microsoft Edge (Chromium) browser must be installed.
- The VMware Horizon HTML5 Multimedia Redirection extension must be installed in the browser. See the topics about configuring HTML5 Multimedia Redirection in the Configuring Remote Desktop Features in Horizon document.
- Client system
- The Support for HTML5 Multimedia Redirection and Browser Redirection custom setup option must be selected when you install Horizon Client. This option is selected by default.
- Display protocol for the remote session
- VMware Blast
- TCP port
- HTML5 Multimedia Redirection uses port 9427.