You can install the Horizon Agent on Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2, or 2016 as an RDSH role.
Note: To install the Horizon Agent in this scenario, you MUST run the command line install and cannot use the default “double click” GUI.
- Add the Remote Desktop Services role.
- Select Start > Administrative Tools > Server Manager to open the Server Manager.
- Select Roles and then select Add Roles in the right pane.
The Before You Begin page of the Add Roles Wizard window appears.
- Click Next.
The Select Server Roles page appears.
- Select the check box for Remote Desktop Services and click Next.
The Remote Desktop Services page appears.
- Click Next.
The Select Role Services page appears.
- Select the check box for Remote Desktop Session Host and click Next.
The Uninstall and Reinstall Applications for Compatibility page appears.
- Click Next.
The Specify Authentication Method for Remote Desktop Session Host page appears.
- Select the appropriate Authentication Level, and then click Next.
The Specify Licensing Mode page appears.
- Specify the licensing mode, and then click Next
The Select User Groups Allowed Access To This RD Session Host Server page appears.
- Add your Users or User Groups, and then click Next.
The Configure Client Experience page appears.
- Make desired settings, and then click Next.
The Confirm Installation Selections page appears.
- Confirm your selections. If something is incorrect, click Previous to return to the previous steps and change the settings. Click Install.
The Installation Progress page appears. The installation takes a few minutes to finish. The Installation Results page appears, and asks for restart.
- Click Close.
A dialog appears, asking for confirmation for restart.
- Click Yes to restart the server.
- When the server comes back, log in again.
The Resuming Configuration page appears. It takes a few seconds to resume configuration. The Installation Results page appears.
- Click Close to complete the installation.
The Server Manager window appears.
- Click Roles and confirm that the Remote Desktop Services role is installed.
- Download the latest Horizon Agent from VMware’s website (https://my.vmware.com). Note that there are separate downloads for 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.
- Run the following on the command line as an administrator user:
VMware-viewagent-x86_64-x.y.z-nnnnnnn.exe /v "VDM_SKIP_BROKER_REGISTRATION=1"
- Perform a custom installation with the following options:
- Select vRealize Operations Desktop Agent.
- Restart the virtual machine when prompted.
What to do next
- For improved security regarding the use of the Horizon Agent, disable weak ciphers in SSL and TLS, which requires you to edit the Group Policy Object (GPO) of the Active Directory server. See the appropriate Horizon Agent documentation for information about disabling weak ciphers in SSL/TLS, such as in the VMware Horizon 7 documentation set.
- Install the DaaS Agent