To improve the deployment performance of the virtual desktops that are generated from your master VM, take these steps to optimize performance of the VM's guest operating system.
About this task
Perform the steps in the VM's Windows guest operating system
- Disable, delete, remove, or turn off these items to optimize performance of the guest operating system.
Unused ports, such as COM1, COM2, and LPT
Indexing Service component
Disable. Indexing improves searches by cataloging files. Do not disable this feature for users who search often.
System Restore points
Remove or minimize.
Uninstall folders on C:\Windows, such as $NtUninstallKB893756$
All event logs
Setting that tracks the last time a file was accessed
Run the fsutil command to disable this setting. For example: fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1.
Set Disk Timeout on Windows Guest OS
Run the regedit.exe command to start the Registry Editor and change the TimeOutValue REG_DWORD in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Disk to 0x000000be(190).
After you make this change, Windows waits at least 190 seconds for delayed disk operations to complete before generating errors.
Run to remove temporary and system files, empty Recycle Bin.
Run to rearrange fragmented data.
System protection on the C drive
Automatic computer maintenance
Tablet PC Components
Uninstall, unless you need this feature.
- Adjust display properties.
- Choose a basic theme.
- Set the background to a solid color.
- Set the screen saver to None.
- Verify that hardware acceleration is enabled.
- Select a high-performance power option and do not specify a sleep timer.
- Set the sound scheme to No Sounds.
- Set visual effects to Adjust for best performance.
- Open Windows Media Player and use the default settings.
- Turn off the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program and disable related tasks from the Scheduler.
These steps apply to Windows 7. The steps might vary for different Windows operating systems.
- In the Windows 7 guest operating system control panel, select .
- Click Customer Experience Improvement Program settings, select No, I don't want to participate in this program, and click Save changes.
- In the Task Scheduler (Local) pane of the Task Scheduler dialog box, select Windows nodes, and open the Applications Experience folder. , expand the
- Disable the AIT Agent, ProgramDataUpdater, and if available, Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser tasks.
- Open the Autochk folder and disable the Proxy task.
- Shut down the guest operating system, power off the virtual machine, and power it back on.