Create a new desktop image from the Images page.
- Select Inventory > Images.
The Images page displays.
- Click New.
The New Image dialog displays.
- In the Desktop field, start typing the first few letters of the template name.
All desktops that can be converted to an image will display. Note that it takes approximately five minutes after the template import for the inventory to display.
- Select the desktop name when it appears.
Note: Make sure that the desktop is powered on prior to conversion.
- Confirm that the Agent Status has changed to Active, indicating that agent pairing has occurred. This should happen within approximately 30 seconds.
Note: You must have the most recent agents installed for agent pairing to succeed. If you are using older versions of the agents, ensure that the DaaS Agent is manually configured and bootstrapped for agent pairing to complete.
- For Instant Clone, select Yes to create an Instant Clone image or No to create a Traditional Clone image. For information about types of images, see Images.
Option Description Instant Clone
Image type that uses VMware's NGVC technology to create VMs instantly for an assignment.Note: Windows Server operating systems are not supported for Instant Clone assignments, so you should not create Instant Clone images from Windows Server template VMs. Although the image can be created with the Instant Clone Agent installed and desktops can be provisioned from it, the desktops will not launch successfully for users.
Traditional Clone Proprietary image type that does full image cloning when creating assignments.
- Enter the required information as described below.
The image type you selected above affects the fields that display.
Option Description Image Name Name for the new image Domain [Instant Clone only] Select domain from the drop-down list Company Name Your company name TimeZone Your time zone Username Admin user for required desktop domainNote: This field displays for Instant Clone images only if your VMware representative has enabled the Image Sync feature. Password/Verify Password Password for the Admin user.Note: This field displays for Instant Clone images only if your VMware representative has enabled the Image Sync feature.
The publishing process includes running the Microsoft Windows Sysprep process. When the template VM is a Microsoft Windows server operating system, the Sysprep process will reset the built-in administrator account password to this password that you type here. This password reset is done to secure the built-in administrator account after the Sysprep process has completed. The built-in adminstrator password is reset to the password you type here whether you specify the built-in administrator account or a non-built-in administrator account in this step.
- Click Publish.
The publishing process takes approximately 40 minutes to complete. If successful, the Image task shows as Complete.Note: Do not restore a VM to a snapshot taken prior to the bootstrapping process. If the agent has been already boot-strapped, this will prevent the agent from communicating as it should.
- If the publish operation fails:
- Select and locate the failed job.
- Correct the problem that caused the failure.
- Select and select the check box next to the image.
- Click ... and select Convert to Desktop.
- Repeat the steps above to re-publish the image.