You can add the policy settings for specific remote desktop features in the Horizon ADMX files to group policy objects (GPOs) in Active Directory.
- Verify that the setup option for the remote desktop feature you are applying the policy for is installed on your virtual machine desktops and RDS hosts. The group policy settings have no effect if the remote desktop feature is not installed. See your Setting Up document for information on installing Horizon Agent.
- Create GPOs for the remote desktop features that you want to apply the group policy settings to and link them to the OU that contains your virtual machine desktops or RDS hosts.
- Verify the name of the ADMX template file that you want to add to Active Directory. See Horizon ADMX Template Files.
- Verify that the Group Policy Management feature is available on your Active Directory server.
- Download the VMware Horizon GPO Bundle .zip file from the VMware download site at https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads.
Under Desktop & End-User Computing, select the VMware Horizon download, which includes the GPO Bundle.
The file is named VMware-Horizon-Extras-Bundle-YYMM-x.x.x-yyyyyyyy.zip, where YYMM is the marketing version, x.x.x is the internal version and yyyyyyyy is the build number. All ADMX files that provide group policy settings for VMware Horizon are available in this file.
- Unzip the VMware-Horizon-Extras-Bundle-YYMM-x.x.x-yyyyyyyy.zip file and copy the ADMX files to your Active Directory server.
- Copy the .admx files and the en-US folder to the %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder on your Active Directory server.
- Copy the language resource (.adml) files to the appropriate subfolder in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions\ on your Active Directory server.
- On the Active Directory server, open the Group Policy Management Editor and enter the path to the template files where they appear in the editor after installation.
What to do next
Configure the group policy settings.