Before you upgrade Connection Server or before you upgrade any of the vSphere components that Connection Server relies on, you must perform several tasks to ensure that these upgrades are successful.
Tasks to Perform on Only One Instance in a Replicated Group
Before you begin upgrading any Connection Server instances, perform the following tasks using only one of the instances. Because the instances are replicated, the settings on one instance are the same as the settings on the others:
- If Connection Server is installed in a virtual machine, take a snapshot of the virtual machine.
For instructions on taking snapshots, see the vSphere Client online help. If you ever need to revert to this snapshot and if you have other Connection Server instances in a replicated group, you must uninstall those instances before you revert the golden image to the snapshot. After you revert, you can reinstall the replicated instances and point to the instance you reverted.
You can label the snapshot Upgrade Preparation Phase.
- Open Horizon Console and document all the global settings and settings for desktops and pools.
You can also take a screen shot of the applicable settings.
- Use the vdmexport.exe utility to back up the Horizon LDAP.
For instructions, see the administration guide for your current version of the Horizon Administration document.
Tasks to Perform for Each Instance Just Before Upgrading
- Verify that the virtual or physical machine on which the current Connection Server instance is installed meets the system requirements for the new version.
- Document the IP address and system name of the machine on which Connection Server is installed.
- Determine if your company has written any batch files or scripts that run against the Horizon LDAP database on the Connection Server instance, and if so, document their names and locations.
- Open Horizon Console and document all the settings that are specific to this instance.
For example, go to Edit. You can take a screen shot of each tab in the Edit Connection Server Settings dialog box., select the Connection Server instance in the table and click