Connection Server requires a golden image virtual machine from which you generate a base image for creating instant clones.
- Verify that an RDS host virtual machine is set up. See Setting Up Remote Desktop Services Hosts. To set up the RDS host, be sure not to use a virtual machine that was previously registered to Connection Server.
- To create an automated instant-clone farm, you must select the Instant Clone option when you install Horizon Agent on the golden image virtual machine. See Install Horizon Agent on a Remote Desktop Services Host.
- Verify that the virtual switch that the instant-clone VMs connect to has enough ports to support the expected number of VMs. Each network card on a VM requires one port.
- Verify that you added an instant-clone domain administrator in Horizon Console. See Add an Instant-Clone DomainAdministrator in the Horizon Installation document.
- To deploy Windows machines, configure a volume license key and activate the golden image virtual machine's operating system with volume activation. See " Activating Windows on Instant Clones" in the Setting Up Virtual Desktops in Horizon document.
- Familiarize yourself with the procedure for disabling searching Windows Update for device drivers. See the Microsoft Technet article, "Disable Searching Windows Update for Device Drivers" at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730606(v=ws.10).aspx.
- To implement the RDS host load balancing feature, modify the RDS host golden image virtual machine.
- Verify that the system disk contains a single volume.
- Verify that the virtual machine does not contain an independent disk.
An independent disk is excluded when you take a snapshot of the virtual machine.
- Before you take a snapshot of the golden image virtual machine, disable searching Windows Update for device drivers.
- In vSphere Client, disable the vApp Options setting on the golden image virtual machine.
- On Windows Server 2012 R2 machines, disable the scheduled maintenance task that recovers disk space by removing unused features.
For example: Schtasks.exe /change /disable /tn "\Microsoft\Windows\AppxDeploymentClient\Pre-staged app cleanup"
What to do next
Use vSphere Client to take a snapshot of the golden image virtual machine in its powered-down state.
Important: Before you take a snapshot, completely shut down the golden image virtual machine by using the Shut Down command in the guest operating system.