To use the Geolocation Redirection feature with the Chrome browser, you must install the VMware Horizon Geolocation Redirection Chrome extension on the remote desktop. Alternatively, you can install the extension silently, without user interaction, by using group policy.
To apply the Google Chrome group policy setting to the remote desktop, you must add the ADMX template file to a GPO on your Active Directory server. For a virtual desktop, the GPO must be linked to the OU that contains the virtual desktop. For a published desktop, the GPO must be linked to the OU that contains the RDS host.
- Configure the Geolocation Redirection feature. See Install and Configure Geolocation Redirection.
- If you plan to configure group policy, verify that you can log in as an Administrator domain user on the machine that hosts your Active Directory server and make sure that the MMC and the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in are available.
- To install the extension from the Chrome Web Store, perform these steps.
- Connect to the remote desktop.
- In the Chrome browser, download and install https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/vmware-horizon-geolocatio/lndponbebpocehnoblfgdfeiegeaokcf from the Chrome Web Store.
- To install the extension silently, perform these steps to download and install the ADMX and ADML files.
- On your Active Directory server, download the https://dl.google.com/dl/edgedl/chrome/policy/policy_templates.zip file.
- Unzip the chrome.admx file and copy it to %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder on the your Active Directory server.
- Unzip the chrome.adml language resource file and copy it to the appropriate language subfolder in the %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions\ folder on your Active Directory server.
For example, copy the en_us version of the chrome.adml file to the %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions\en_us subfolder on your Active Directory server.
- To configure Chrome group policy, perform these steps.
- On your Active Directory server, open the Group Policy Management Editor and navigate to the folder.
- Open the Configure the list of force-installed apps and extensions group policy setting and click Enabled.
- Click Show, type lndponbebpocehnoblfgdfeiegeaokcf;https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx in the Value text box, and click OK.
- To save your changes, click OK.
- To verify that the VMware Horizon Geolocation Redirection extension is installed on the remote desktop, perform the following steps.
- Connect to the remote desktop and start Chrome.
- Type chrome://extensions in the Chrome address bar.
- Verify that VMware Horizon Geolocation Redirection appears in the Extensions list.