You can use agent group policy settings to configure drive letter behavior for drives that are redirected with the client drive redirection feature.
When drive letter mapping is configured, the folders configured in the client drive redirection share list are not redirected. This limitation applies only to Horizon Client for Windows. For information about sharing local files and drives in Horizon Client for Windows, see the VMware Horizon Client for Windows Installation and Setup Guide document.
- Verify that you can log in as an Administrator domain user on the machine that hosts your Active Directory server.
- Verify that the MMC and the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in are available on your Active Directory server.
- Add the VMware Horizon Client Drive Redirection ADMX template file (vdm_agent_cdr.admx) to a GPO that is linked to the OU for your virtual desktops or to the RDS host for your published desktops. For installation instructions, see Add the ADMX Template Files to Active Directory.
- On your Active Directory server, open the Group Policy Management Editor and navigate to .
- To configure whether to display a drive letter for redirected drives, configure the Display redirected device with drive letter group policy setting.
This setting is enabled by default.
- To specify how long to wait, in milliseconds, for Windows Explorer to initialize and display a drive letter for redirected drives, configure the Timeout for drive letter configuration group policy setting.
When this setting is disabled or not configured, the default value is 5000 milliseconds.
- To set the drive letter mapping mode, configure the Configure drive letter mapping mode group policy setting.
You can select one of the following options.
Option Description One to one mapping Maps the drive letter on the client machine to the same drive letter on the agent machine. For example, drive X on the client machine is mapped to drive X on the agent machine. Defined mapping Maps drive letters on the client machine to certain drive letters on the agent machine according to a mapping table that is defined in the Define drive letter mapping table group policy setting.
- To map driver letters, configure the Define drive letter mapping table group policy setting.
You click Show to define a drive letter mapping table. The Value name column specifies the drive letter on the client machine and corresponding Value column specifies the drive letter to use on the agent machine.