To patch a pool of instant-clone desktops, you can use the push-image operation for a rolling patching process with zero downtime.
The workflow for the patching process includes the following steps:
- Prepare a new golden image and snapshot based on the updated operating system image or applications.
- Schedule a push-image operation with the updated golden image and snapshot. When the push-image operation starts, Horizon deletes old instant-clone desktops that are unused and quickly creates new instant clones based on the new image. The new clones are ready for users to log in.
- Old instant-clone desktops that are in-use remain undisturbed. When the user logs out, Horizon deletes the old instant clone and recreates a new instant clone based on the updated image. The new instant clone is ready for the next user to log in.
- Once all the users have logged out, Horizon patches the entire pool.
- In Horizon Console, select
- Click the pool ID.
- On the Summary tab, click .
The Schedule Push Image window opens.
- Follow the prompts.
You can schedule the task to start immediately or sometime in the future. For clones with user sessions, you can specify whether to force the users to log out or to wait. When the users log out, Horizon recreates the clones.
- Click Finish.
When you schedule this operation, publishing of the new image starts immediately. Pool update starts at the time that you specify in the Schedule Push Image wizard.