To use the HTML5 Multimedia Redirection feature with the Microsoft Edge (Chromium) browser, you must install the VMware Horizon HTML5 Redirection extension on the remote desktop. You can install the extension from the Chrome Web Store. Alternatively, you can install the extension silently, without user interaction, by using Microsoft Edge policy.
- Configure the HTML5 Multimedia Redirection feature. See Install and Configure HTML5 Multimedia Redirection.
- Verify that the Microsoft Edge (Chromium) browser allows extensions from other stores. For information about how to configure this feature, see the Microsoft documentation.
- If you plan to configure Microsoft Edge (Chromium) policy, verify that you can log in as an Administrator domain user on the machine that hosts your Active Directory server and make sure that the MMC and the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in are available.
For the most up-to-date information about Microsoft Edge (Chromium) features and policy, see the Microsoft documentation.
- To install the extension from the Chrome Web Store, perform these steps.
- Connect to the remote desktop.
- In the Microsoft Edge (Chromium) browser, download and install https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/vmware-horizon-html5-redi/ljmaegmnepbgjekghdfkgegbckolmcok from the Chrome Web Store.
- To install the extension silently, perform these steps to download and install the Microsoft Edge ADMX and ADML files.
- Download the MicrosoftEdgePolicyTemplates.cab file from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download.
- Unzip the MicrosoftEdgePolicyTemplates.cab file and copy the msedge.admx and msedge.adml files to your Active Directory server.
After extracting the MicrosoftEdgePolicyTemplates.cab file, the msedge.admx file is in the \windows\admx folder and the msedge.adml file is in the \windows\admx\language folder.
- Copy the msedge.admx file to the %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder on your Active Directory server.
- Copy the msedge.adml language resource file to the appropriate language subfolder in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions on your Active Directory server.
For example, copy the en_us version of the msedge.adml file to the %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions\en_us subfolder on your Active Directory server.
- To configure Microsoft Edge policy, perform these steps.
- On your Active Directory server, open the Group Policy Management Editor and navigate to the folder.
- Open the Control which extensions are installed silently policy setting and click Enable.
- Click Show and enter ljmaegmnepbgjekghdfkgegbckolmcok;https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx in the Value column.
- Verify that the HTML5 Multimedia Redirection extension is installed on the remote desktop.
VMware Horizon HTML5 Redirection Extension appears in the Extensions list.
- Connect to the remote desktop and start the Microsoft Edge (Chromium) browser.
- Enter edge://extensions in the address bar.