Remote Desktop Services is one of the roles that a Windows Server 2012 R2, 2016, or 2019 can have. You must install this role to set up an RDS host.
- Verify that the RDS host is running a supported Wiindows Server version.
- Verify that the RDS host is part of the Active Directory domain for the Horizon deployment.
- Log in to the RDS host as an administrator.
- Start Server Manager.
- Select Add roles and features.
- On the Select Installation Type page, select Role-based or feature-based installation.
- On the Select Destination Server page, select a server.
- On the Select Server Roles page, select Remote Desktop Services.
- On the Select Features page, accept the defaults.
- On the Remote Desktop Services, Role Services page, select the Remote Desktop Session Host role and accept the prompts to add in the additional features required to support the Desktop Session Host role.
- Follow the prompts to finish the installation.
- Restart the Windows server.
What to do next
If you plan to use HTML Access or scanner redirection, install the Desktop Experience feature.
Restrict users to a single desktop session. See Restrict Users to a Single Session.