To use the HTML5 Multimedia Redirection feature with the Google Chrome browser, you must install the VMware Horizon HTML5 Redirection extension on the remote desktop. You can install the extension from the Chrome Web Store. Alternatively, you can install the extension silently, without user interaction, by using group policy.
To apply the Google Chrome group policy setting to the remote desktop, you must add the ADMX template file to a GPO on your Active Directory server. For a virtual desktop, the GPO must be linked to the OU that contains the virtual desktop. For a published desktop, the GPO must be linked to the OU that contains the RDS host.
- Configure the HTML5 Multimedia Redirection feature. See Install and Configure HTML5 Multimedia Redirection.
- If you plan to use group policy, verify that you can log in as an Administrator domain user on the machine that hosts your Active Directory server and make sure that the MMC and the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in are available on your Active Directory server.
- To install the extension from the Chrome Web Store, perform these steps.
- Connect to the remote desktop.
- In the Chrome browser, download and install https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/vmware-horizon-html5-redi/ljmaegmnepbgjekghdfkgegbckolmcok from the Chrome Web Store.
- To install the extension silently, perform these steps to download and install the ADMX and ADML files.
- Download the Google Chrome policy_templates.zip file from https://dl.google.com/dl/edgedl/chrome/policy/policy_templates.zip.
- Unzip the policy_templates.zip file and copy the chrome.admx and chrome.adml files to your Active Directory Server.
The chrome.admx file is in the \windows\admx folder and the chrome.adml file is in the \windows\admx\language folder in the policy_templates.zip file.
- Copy the chrome.admx file to the %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder on your Active Directory server.
- Copy the chrome.adml language resource file to the appropriate language subfolder in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions on your Active Directory server.
For example, copy the en_us version of the chrome.adml file to the %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions\en_us subfolder on your Active Directory server.
- To configure the Chrome group policy, perform these steps.
- On your Active Directory server, open the Group Policy Management Editor and navigate to the folder.
- Open the Configure the list of force-installed apps and extensions policy setting and click Enabled.
- Click Show and enter ljmaegmnepbgjekghdfkgegbckolmcok;https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx in the Value column.
- Click OK to save the extension ID/update URL and click OK to save the policy setting.
- Verify that the HTML5 Multimedia Redirection extension is installed on the remote desktop.
- Connect to the remote desktop and start the Google Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://extensions in the Google Chrome address bar.
VMware Horizon HTML5 Redirection Extension appears in the Extensions list.