With a multi-data center deployment, you can upgrade VMware Identity Manager to the next version with no downtime. Use this suggested workflow for rolling updates.
About this task
Refer to the diagram in Deploying VMware Identity Manager in a Secondary Data Center for Failover and Redundancy as you follow these steps.
- Switch routing on the Global LB to send the requests to the DC2 LB.
- Stop database replication.
- Update the vIDM1 virtual appliance, then update the vIDM2 virtual appliance, and then update the vIDM 3 virtual appliance.
- Test updates using DC1-LB.
- Once satisfied, switch Global LB to route requests to DC1 LB.
- Update the vIDM4 virtual appliance, then update the vIDM5 virtual appliance, and then update the vIDM6 virtual appliance.
- Test updates using DC2-LB.
- Start database replication.