You create volumes and attach them to instances to provide persistent storage.
- If you want to create a volume from an image, upload the desired image. See Import an Image.
- If you want to create an FCD-backed volume, verify that you have added at least one Cinder host using the FCD back end. Then create a volume type and set its volume_backend_name extra spec to the name of the FCD back end which is VMwareVStorageObjectDriver. Select this volume type during the volume creation process. For information about volume types, see Create Volume Type.
- Log in to the VMware Integrated OpenStack dashboard.
- Select your project from the drop-down menu in the title bar.
- Select .
- Click Create Volume and enter the desired configuration.
Option Description Volume Name
Enter a name for the new volume.
Enter a description for the volume.
Select No source, empty volume, Snapshot, Image, or Volume.
If you select Snapshot, Image, or Volume, specify the desired object from the next drop-down menu.
If you selected No source, empty volume or Image as the volume source, select a volume type for the volume.
For volumes whose source is a volume snapshot or another volume, the volume type is inherited from the source.
Enter the size of the volume in gibibytes.
If you selected No source, empty volume or Image as the volume source, specify the availability zone in which to create the volume.
For volumes whose source is a volume snapshot or another volume, the availability zone is inherited from the source.
- Click Create Volume.
What to do next
In the Actions column to the right of the volume, you can perform the following actions:
- Click Edit Volume to modify the name and description of the volume and whether it is bootable.
- Click Extend Volume to increase the size of a volume.
- Click Launch as Instance to create an instance using an unattached volume.
- Click Manage Attachments to attach the volume to or detach the volume from an instance.
- Click Create Snapshot to take a snapshot of the volume.
Note: Creating a snapshot of a volume attached to an instance can result in a corrupted snapshot. If possible, detach the volume before creating the snapshot.
- Click Change Volume Type to modify the volume type and migration policy.
- Click Upload to Image to upload the volume to Glance as an image.
- Click Create Transfer to assign ownership of an unattached volume to a different project. For details, see Transfer Volume.
- Click Update Metadata to add, remove, or change volume metadata.
You can also select one or more unattached volumes and click Delete Volumes to remove them.