If you develop virtual machines (VMs) or Applications (VM bundles) on-premises, you might need to upload them to the cloud for templatization. In addition, when a VM must be built in the cloud, there might be a need for media (an ISO) containing the OS that needs to be installed.
You can import virtual machines (VMs) and media (ISOs) to your cloud catalog through the VMware Learning Platform Admin UI. OVF, OVA, VMDK, and ISO file types are supported.
After a successful import, there is a waiting time before the file becomes available. You can see progress in the Content Migration Task widget on the VMware Learning Platform dashboard.
When an upload is completed, it must be additionally processed and imported into the cloud and there is a waiting time before you can use the file. You can track the status of the uploaded file with the Content Migration Status widget on the default dashboard.
When the import operation is completed, the template is available in Lab builder as a published template, ready to be used. An automatic job regularly checks for uploaded items, updates status, and syncs them with VMware Learning Platform and Lab Builder. You can also start a resync manually.
You can view ISOs (media files) in your cloud catalog from the Cloud Media page in.
- Open the VMware Learning Platform Admin UI and verify that Advanced Options is selected.
- Select to navigate to the Lab Templates page.
- Click the ellipsis next to the New Lab Template button.
- Select Upload VMs/ISOs from the drop-down menu.
- On the Upload VMs/ISOs form, select a cloud catalog destination.
- Click Attach Files and select a file to upload.
- When the file is displayed in the Upload window and ready for upload, Click Upload.
When the file is successfully uploaded, it automatically moves for the import operation. You can see the status of the file import in the Import window page.
- Click Close.
- Go to the dashboard ( and monitor the progress under the Content Migration Task widget. Click the arrow next to the task name to see the history.
- A resync job is also run every hour automatically. If you want to manually sync a lab after the upload, go back to Lab Builder and click on the ellipsis next to the New Lab Template and click Full Resync Lab Templates to force a resync. The resync action will sync all the media and lab templates for the selected cloud.