While you are working on a lab, you can use lab options to extend the time remaining in your lab, to end or temporarily exit a lab, or to submit your lab results for grading. You can also use lab options to set keyboard and console attributes.
Status options are located on the white ribbon above the console pane. They include the following settings.
- Time Remaining: Displays the amount of time remaining for you to complete your lab.
Note: Labs have two time limits: Time Remaining and Expiration Date. Time remaining is the total amount of time that the lab can be active. The counter for Time Remaining only changes when the lab is in use.
When the Expiration Date arrives, the lab ends even if there is allotted time still available. For example, a lab might have been configured with a one-hour limit to do the lab, but expire in three days. As a result, you can use the lab for up to one hour of total time and break up that time into smaller intervals spread out over three days. In this case, the lab would end when the first of the time limits is reached.
- End: Displays a screen that allows you to confirm or cancel the ending of your lab. If you confirm that you want to “end” your lab, then VMware Learning Platform considers you have completed the lab and returns you to the VMware Learning Platform lab console login page. As a result, you are unable to resume the lab. You must click Exit to come back and resume your lab.
- Exit: Displays a screen that allows you to confirm or cancel the exiting from your lab. If you confirm that you want to “exit” your lab, VMware Learning Platform returns you to the lab console login page. VMware Learning Platform also provides you with an option to resume the lab. The Exit option is displayed only if your tenant admin has enabled it.
- Extend: Allows you to extend the time remaining in your lab. The Extend option is displayed only if your tenant admin has enabled it.
- Finish: If your admin has configured your lab for grading, then the system displays the Finish option instead of the End option.
When you click Finish, the lab is ended and your work is sent for grading. Note that once you click Finish, you are not able to return to the lab.
- Reset: If you reset a lab, all its virtual machines (VMs) are restored to their original state. You are not able to recover any work you have done. The Reset option is displayed only if your tenant admin has enabled it.
Keyboard and Console Options
Options for keyboard and console settings are located by clicking on the gear menu. Select the checkbox for the options you want to use.
- Keyboard Layout: Select your keyboard layout to adjust any incorrect keys being sent to the console.
- Intercept Paste: Intercept the paste shortcut keys and send the text copied from your browser (or elsewhere) to the console. This option could interfere with the console's own copy and paste commands.
- Manual Shortcuts: If enabled, you can change the page in the manual with Ctrl key combinations even when the console has focus. See the gear menu for key combinations for your environment.
- Fix non-ANSI US keyboard layouts: Remap the keys pressed on your keyboard to send US ANSI key code equivalents to the console. If you are using a non-US keyboard or have the keyboard set a non-US language in your operating system, enabling this option could help send the correct keys to the console.
- Reverse Vertical Scroll Direction: Change the mouse scrolling direction sent to the console. This setting can help with mice or trackpads that have the scroll direction reversed (sometimes called "natural").