You can deploy additional data collectors for your installation.
Log in to VMware Log Intelligence by specifying the URL https://www.mgmt.cloud.vmware.com/li/ and entering your login credentials.
- Open the menu on the left side of the home page and select Manage>Data Collectors to display the Data Collectors page.
- Click Add New under the Data Collectors page heading.
- You can deploy a data collector locally or deploy a data collector as an Amazon Machine Image on AWS.
To deploy the data collector locally, click Download OVA.
To deploy the data collector with AWS, click Deploy AMI and following the instructions that appear.
- Navigate to your VMware vSphere Web Client data center and click on the name of your vCenter cluster. In the drop-down menu, select Deploy OVF Template.
- In the Deploy OVF Template form, perform the following actions.
- Click Select template, then Local File. Paste in the path to the OVA data collector file you downloaded. Click Next.
- Click Select name and location, then enter the name of your OVA file. Select the cluster where you want to install the data collector, and click Next.
- Click Select a resource and the cluster where you want to run the data collector, and then click Next.
- Review the details of your data collector deployment. Notice the Size on disk text box. The location where you deploy the data collector in the following steps must have enough space available. Click Next.
- Accept the License Agreement. Click Next.
- Click Select storage and select a datastore from the list with enough free space for the OVA file. Click Next.
- Click Select networks and select a destination network, and then click Next.
- Click Customize template and enter the required information. Do not click Next.
For Root User Password, choose a unique password. It does not need to match the vCenter password.
- Return to VMware Log Intelligence and collect the token key provided on the Setup a Data Collector Virtual Appliance form. Click Copy to copy the key. Be sure to use the Copy control to ensure you are copying the entire key.
Token keys are good for 24 hours and should be used for only one data collector.
- Click Networking Properties. If you use DHCP in your vCenter network, do not enter any information. If you do not use DHCP, then you must provide information for each setting. Click Next.
- Click Ready to complete and review your configuration data. Click Finish.
The data collector is installed.
- Click the green arrow at the top of your page to run the data collector.
- To verify that your data collector is running, look under the VMs tab at the list of your virtual machines to ensure it is Powered On.
- Return to the VMware Log Intelligence Set Up a Data Collector Virtual Appliance form. Wait for a success message saying a connection has been made. (This may take several minutes.) When the connection has been made successfully, the Next button at the bottom of the screen becomes active.
- Click Next to go to the Configure Log Forwarding page.
What to do next
Enable log and event forwarding to the data collector. See Port Requirements of Remote Data Collector.