You assign a pending device as a reference CVD and configure it with applications and settings for a base layer that applies to a set of endpoints. After the reference machine is built and configured, the installed Mirage client uploads its content to an assigned reference CVD, which is used to capture a base layer.
About this task
If you are managing Point of Sale devices, set up physical reference machines for layer capture operations.
A pending device that is assigned as a reference machine is moved from the Pending Devices list to the Reference CVDs view.
Files and settings from the reference machine are captured in the base layer, and are then distributed to a large number of endpoint desktops. To avoid unintended consequences, make sure the configuration is appropriate for mass distribution.
- In the Mirage Management console tree, expand the Inventory node and select Pending Devices.
- Right-click the reference machine to be assigned and select Create a new Reference CVD.
- Select the required upload policy and click Next.
- Select a base layer and click Next.
Don’t Use a Base Layer
For first-time use, when no base layer exists.
Select Base Layer from List
You select an existing base layer to apply updates and modify content.
- Select a volume and click Next.
- Click Finish.
The device is moved from the Pending Devices list to the Reference CVDs view.
After the reference machine is configured with applications and settings for a base layer, you can use it to capture a base layer.