You can use a CVD snapshot to restore a specific file or a complete endpoint on an existing device.
About this task
Mirage automatically creates CVD snapshots at regular intervals, and preserves them based on a retention policy, making them available for restoration purposes as needed. For more information, see the VMware Mirage Administrator's Guide.
You can use a selected CVD snapshot to restore a specific file or a complete endpoint on an existing device. The reversion can be between same operating system, for example, Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1, or cross-operating systems, for example, Windows 8.1 to Windows 7.
- In the Mirage Web Management, select the CVD that you want to restore to a CVD snapshot and click Revert To Snapshot.
- Select the revert options.
- Select the snapshot date to which you want to revert.
- Select whether you want to only restore the system and click Next.
The Restore System Only check box is selected by default. Select This restores system files only, including the base layer, user-installed applications and user machine settings. The user area content is not affected and any new files in the user area are not erased.
User data in this option pertains to files and directories listed in the upload policies User area.
The option behavior depends if the reversion you are performing is to the same OS or cross-OS.
If to the same OS, for example, Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1:
Clear this check box if you want to restore the entire CVD, including the User area, from the CVD snapshot.
If the checkbox is cleared, any application, setting, or document in the current CVD that does not exist in the snapshot is erased from the endpoint.
If to a different OS, for example, Windows 8.1 to Windows 7:
This checkbox is not selected so the entire CVD, including the User area, is always restored from the CVD snapshot.
- Use the validation summary to compare the target device with the CVD. This summary alerts you to any potential problems that require additional attention.
You cannot proceed until blocking problems are resolved.
- Verify the snapshot details and click Finish.