You can restore a Windows 8 CVD to a Windows 8 device.
Install the Mirage client on the client machine. See the VMware Mirage Installation Guide.
The procedure enables you to select a domain for this endpoint to join after the restore operation. If you want to use the same credentials each time, perform the following:
In the Mirage Management console tree, right-click System Configuration and select Settings.
Select the General tab and then type the credentials you want to use for domain joining.
The join domain account must meet the appropriate security privilege requirements. See General System Settings.
- In the Management console, select .
- Select Replace the user machine and click OK.
- Select the device where you want to restore the CVD and click Next.
Only devices to which the CVD can be restored are listed.
- Select a restore option for the selected CVD and device and Next.
You can maintain the current layer, if one applies, select a new base layer from the list, or proceed without a base layer.
Full System Restore
This option includes OS, applications, user data, and user settings.
Use this option for systems with Windows volume licenses or Windows OEM SLP licenses.
The entire CVD is restored to the replacement device, including OS, applications, and user files. Any existing files on the replacement device are lost or overwritten.
This option requires you to select a base layer.
Only Restore User Data and Settings
Use this option to migrate users from Windows 8 machines to Windows 8 machines.
The OS of the replacement device must be the same as or newer than that of the CVD.
Only user data and settings are restored to the replacement device. The existing OS and applications installed on the replacement device are retained.
- (Optional) : Specify CVD naming and domain options.
- Change or define the hostname for a device being restored.
- Select a domain for this endpoint to join after the restore operation. The current domain is shown by default.
Type the OU and Domain or select them from the drop-down menus.
The drop-down menus are populated with all known domains in the system. Each text box shows the required syntax pattern.
Verify that the OU is in standard open LDAP format. For example, OU=Notebooks, OU=Hardware, DC=VMware, DC=com.
Join Domain account
The join domain account must meet the appropriate security privilege requirements as defined in the system general settings.
The account must have access to join the domain. This is not validated.
- Click Next.
- Use the validation summary to compare the target device with the CVD. This summary alerts you to any potential problems that require additional attention.
You cannot proceed until blocking problems are resolved.
- Click Next and click Finish.
The migration process starts and takes place in two phases. See End User Experience with Restore Processes.