The Wake-on-LAN protocol allows the administrator to start machines from a dormant state (State from which you can resume. Depends on the NIC, and whether it keeps a low power state). A Wake-on-Lan packet is sent during flows manually run by the customer:
Go to System Configuration > Branch Reflectors > Select Wake On LAN.
Make sure the infrastructure supports wake on LAN:
Enable Wake On LAN in the BIOS of the endpoint
Enable Wake On LAN in Windows
The following procedure is an example to show the Wake-on-LAN procedure. You can run through any flow to automatically awaken the VM from dormant state.
- Log in to your Web Console.
- Go to Pending Devices and select the dormant machine that you want to start.
- Click Centralize Endpoint.
- In the Select CVD Policy section of the Centralize Endpoint window, select VMware Mirage default CVD policy, and click Next.
- In the Data Layer Selection section of the Centralize Endpoint window, select Do not use a base layer, and click Next.
- In the Target Volume Selection section of the Centralize Endpoint window, Automatically chose a volume, and click Next.
The selected machine is awakened from a dormant state.