NSX environments containing more than one vCenter Server system can be managed centrally.
- To overcome scale limits of vCenter Server
- To accommodate products that require dedicated or multiple vCenter Server systems, such as Horizon View or Site Recovery Manager
- To separate environments, for example by business unit, tenant, organization, or environment type
In NSX Data Center for vSphere 6.2 and later you can create universal objects on the primary NSX Manager, which are synchronized across all vCenter Servers systems in the environment.
- Increased span of logical networks. The same logical networks are available in the cross-vCenter environment, so it's possible for VMs on any cluster on any vCenter Server system to be connected to the same logical network.
- Centralized security policy management. Firewall rules are managed from one centralized location, and apply to the VM regardless of location or vCenter Server system.
- Support of mobility boundaries in vSphere 6, including cross vCenter and long distance vMotion across logical switches.
- Enhanced support for multi-site environments, from metro distance to 150ms RTT. This includes both active-active and active-passive datacenters.
- Centralized management of universal objects, reducing administration effort.
- Increased mobility of workloads - VMs can be migrated using vMotion across vCenter Servers without having to reconfigure the VM or change firewall rules.
- Enhanced multi-site and disaster recovery capabilities.