The NSX Manager communicates with NSX Edge through the VIX or Message Bus. It is chosen by the NSX Manager when the Edge is deployed and never changes.
- VIX is used for NSX Edge if the ESXi host is not prepared.
- The NSX Manager gets host credentials from the vCenter Server to connect to the ESXi host first.
- The NSX Manager uses the Edge credentials to log in to the Edge appliance.
- The vmtoolsd process on the Edge handles the VIX communication.
VIX failures occur because of:
- The NSX Manager cannot communicate with the vCenter Server.
- The NSX Manager cannot communicate with the ESXi hosts.
- There are NSX Manager internal issues.
- There are Edge internal issues.
Vix Command 1126400 failed, reason com.vmware.vshield.edge.exception.VixException: vShield Edge:10013:Error code 'VIX_E_FILE_NOT_FOUND' was returned by VIX API.:null Health check failed for edge edge-13 VM vm-5025 reason: com.vmware.vshield.edge.exception.VixException: vShield Edge:10013:Error code 'VIX_E_VM_NOT_RUNNING' was returned by VIX API.:null
In general, if the same failure occurs for many Edges at the same time, the issue is not on the Edge side.