Use the NSX Manager user interface (UI) to upgrade your current NSX Intelligence version 1.1.x appliance to a later version of the appliance.
Beginning with NSX Intelligence version 1.1, you upgrade the NSX Intelligence version 1.1 or later appliance using the NSX Manager UI only. Although you can upgrade the appliance using the CLI, that CLI upgrade process does not include important pre-upgrade checks. The upgrade bundle must be of the MUB filetype.
- Download the NSX Intelligence appliance bundle (.mub) file. See Download the NSX Intelligence Appliance Upgrade Bundle.
- Ensure that the /image partition in the NSX Manager host has enough space for the MUB file to be uploaded to the NSX Manager host.
- The /image and /tmp partitions of the NSX Intelligence appliance node must have enough space to upload and verify the NSX Intelligence upgrade bundle.
- From your browser, log in with enterprise administrator privileges to an NSX Manager at https://<nsx-manager-ip-address>.
- In NSX Manager, select .
- Locate the NSX Intelligence Appliances card and click Upgrade NSX Intelligence.
- In the Upgrade Bundle pane, use the following information to decide which method to use to upload the upgrade bundle.
- Select Upload MUB File if you downloaded the MUB update bundle to a local datastore.
- Select Upload From Remote Location if you downloaded the MUB update bundle to a remote web server.
- Enter the filename of the upgrade bundle using the following information.
Important: The MUB filename entered must match exactly as the upgrade bundle file that you downloaded from the VMware Products Download portal.
- If you selected the Upload MUB File method, click Select File, navigate to the downloaded MUB file location, and select the file.
- If you selected Upload From Remote Location method, enter the full URL of the MUB file you downloaded on your remote web server.
- Click Upload File.
The upload might take some time. The progress of the upload and verification of the upgrade bundle is displayed. If you decide not to continue with the upload, click Cancel. A message is displayed to confirm the bundle upload cancellation. You must reupload the bundle again to proceed with the upgrade process.
- After the upgrade bundle is uploaded successfully, click Start Upgrade.
The Upgrade Coordinator is upgraded with the NSX Intelligence upgrade information. The Upgrade Coordinator runs in NSX Manager. It is a self-contained web application that orchestrates the upgrade process of NSX Intelligence and other NSX objects. The Upgrade Coordinator guides you through the proper upgrade sequence. You can track the upgrade process from the user interface.
- After the Upgrade Coordinator is updated successfully, the Summary tab shows the version of the currently installed NSX Intelligence appliance and the target version to be used to upgrade the appliance.
Note: When performing a maintenance release upgrade, if you upgrade the NSX Intelligence Upgrade Coordinator with the maintenance bundle, but you proceed to upgrade NSX Manager first, you must repeat the preceding steps 1–8 when the NSX Manager upgrade is finished.
- Click Run Pre-Checks.
The health of the NSX Intelligence appliance is verified. Also, the upgrade pre-check process verifies if there is any NSX-T Data Center appliance upgrade in progress and handles it accordingly. When the pre-checks are finished without errors, the green Ready text and checkmark icon appears on the NSX Intelligence upgrade card. If errors were encountered during the pre-checks, the error messages are displayed.
- Click Next.
- On the NSX Intelligence Appliance Upgrade tab, verify that the target version, upgrade unit, and IP address shown are correct.
- Click Start Upgrade.
The Status column in the table changes from Not Started to In Progress and the upgrade's progress is displayed next to Details.Note: If the /data partition is large, the step to copy data from that partition might take some time to finish if the partition is large.
If an error is encountered, the value in the Status column is changed to Failed. You can look at the error information provided in Details or click Recent Logs to view the upgrade process log output. Determine the necessary action you must do to resolve the error encountered.
- (Optional) If the upgrade attempt failed and you have determined that it is safe to try the upgrade again, click Retry Upgrade.
The upgrade steps that finished successfully in the previous attempt are not redone. The upgrade process step where the failure happened is attempted again. When all the upgrade steps are finished successfully, the Upgrade Successful banner message is displayed and the Status value in the table is changed to Upgraded.
- Click Finish.
The NSX Intelligence Appliances card displays the information about the new appliance version and the summary of the upgrade that finished.
What to do next
Navigate toand verify that the data flow visualization is intact and new traffic flow data is getting collected as expected.