The tier-1 logical router must be connected to the tier-0 logical router to get the northbound physical router access.
- Verify that the logical switches are configured. See Create a Logical Switch.
- Verify that an NSX Edge cluster is deployed to perform network address translation (NAT) configuration. See the NSX-T Data Center Installation Guide.
- Familiarize yourself with the tier-1 logical router topology. See Tier-1 Logical Router.
- From your browser, log in with admin privileges to an NSX Manager at https://nsx-manager-ip-address.
- Select from the navigation panel.
- Click Add and select Tier-1 Router.
- Enter a name for the logical router and optionally a description.
- (Optional) Select a tier-0 logical router to connect to this tier-1 logical router.
If you do not yet have any tier-0 logical routers configured, you can leave this field blank for now and edit the router configuration later.
- (Optional) Select an NSX Edge cluster to connect to this tier-1 logical router.
If the tier-1 logical router is going to be used for NAT configuration, it must be connected to an NSX Edge cluster. If you do not yet have any NSX Edge clusters configured, you can leave this field blank for now and edit the router configuration later.
- (Optional) If you selected an NSX Edge cluster, select a failover mode.
Option Description Preemptive If the preferred node fails and recovers, it will preempt its peer and become the active node. The peer will change its state to standby. This is the default option. Non-preemptive If the preferred node fails and recovers, it will check if its peer is the active node. If so, the preferred node will not preempt its peer and will be the standby node.
- (Optional) Click the Advanced tab and enter a value for Intra Tier-1 Transit Subnet.
- Click Add.
In the NSX Manager UI, the new logical router is a clickable link.
If this logical router supports more than 5000 VMs, you must run the following commands on each node of the NSX Edge cluster to increase the size of the ARP table.You must re-run the commands after a dataplane restart or a node reboot because the change is not persistent.
set debug-mode set dataplane neighbor max-arp-logical-router 10000
What to do next
Create downlink ports for your tier-1 logical router. See Add a Downlink Port on a Tier-1 Logical Router.