You can install NSX Edge devices in a manual fashion on bare metal using an ISO file. This includes configuring networking settings, such as IP address, gateway, network mask, NTP, and DNS.
Verify that the system BIOS mode is set to Legacy BIOS.
See NSX Edge network requirements in NSX Edge Networking Setup.
- Create a bootable disk with the NSX Edge ISO file on it.
- Boot the physical machine from the disk.
- Choose Automated installation.
There might be a pause of 10 seconds after you press Enter.
During power-on, the installer requests a network configuration via DHCP. If DHCP is not available in your environment, the installer prompts you for IP settings.
By default, the root login password is vmware, and the admin login password is default.
- Open the console of the NSX Edge to track the boot process.
If the console window does not open, make sure that pop-ups are allowed.
- After the NSX Edge starts, log in to the CLI with admin privileges, , user name is admin and password is default.
After NSX Edge starts, if you do not log in with admin credentials for the first time, the data plane service does not automatically start on NSX Edge.
- After the reboot, you can log in with either admin or root credentials. The default root password is vmware.
- Run the get interface eth0 command to verify that the IP address was applied as expected
nsx-edge-1> get interface eth0 Interface: eth0 Address: 192.168.110.37/24 MAC address: 00:50:56:86:62:4d MTU: 1500 Default gateway: 192.168.110.1 Broadcast address: 192.168.110.255 ...
If needed, run the set interface eth0 ip <CIDR> gateway <gateway-ip> plane mgmt command to update the management interface. Optionally, you can start the SSH service with the start service ssh command.
- Verify that the NSX Edge appliance has the required connectivity.
If you enabled SSH, make sure that you can SSH to your NSX Edge.
You can ping your NSX Edge.
NSX Edge can ping its default gateway.
NSX Edge can ping the hypervisor hosts that are in the same network as the NSX Edge.
NSX Edge can ping its DNS server and its NTP server.
- Troubleshoot connectivity problems.
If connectivity is not established, make sure the VM network adapter is in the proper network or VLAN.
By default, the NSX Edge datapath claims all virtual machine NICs except the management NIC (the one that has an IP address and a default route). If DHCP assigns the wrong NIC as management, complete the tasks to correct the problem.
- Log in CLI and type the stop service dataplane command.
- Type the set interface eth0 dhcp plane mgmt command.
- Place eth0 into the DHCP network and wait for an IP address to be assigned to eth0.
- Type the start service dataplane command.
The datapath fp-ethX ports used for the VLAN uplink and the tunnel overlay are shown in the get interfaces and get physical-port commands on the NSX Edge.
What to do next
Join the NSX Edge with the management plane. See Join NSX Edge with the Management Plane.