If you prefer an interactive NSX Edge installation, you can use the vSphere web client.
See NSX Edge network requirements in NSX Edge Installation.
- Locate the NSX Edge appliance OVA file on the VMware download portal.
Either copy the download URL or download the OVA file onto your computer.
- In the vSphere Client, select the host on which to install NSX Edge appliance.
- Right-click and select Deploy OVF template to start the installation wizard.
- Enter the download OVA URL or navigate to the saved OVA file.
- Enter a name for the NSX Edge VM.
The name you type appears in the inventory.
- Select a compute resource for the NSX Edge appliance.
- For an optimal performance, reserve memory for the NSX Edge appliance.
Set the reservation to ensure that NSX Edge has sufficient memory to run efficiently. See NSX Edge VM System Requirements.
- Verify the OVF template details.
- Select a datastore to store the NSX Edge appliance files.
- Accept the default source and destination network interface.
You can accept the default network destination for the rest of the networks and change the network configuration after the NSX Edge is deployed.
- Select the IP allocation from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the NSX Edge system root, CLI admin, and audit passwords.
Your passwords must comply with the password strength restrictions.
- At least 12 characters
- At least one lower-case letter
- At least one upper-case letter
- At least one digit
- At least one special character
- At least five different characters
- No dictionary words
- No palindromes
- More than four monotonic character sequence is not allowed
- Enter the default gateway, management network IPv4, management network netmask, DNS, and NTP IP address.
- (Optional) Register the NSX Edge with the management plane, if you have a NSX Manager available.
- Enter the parent NSX Manager node IP address and thumbprint.
- Run the API call POST https://<nsx-manager>/api/v1/aaa/registration-token to retrieve the NSX Manager token.
- Enter the hostname of the NSX Edge VM.
- Enable SSH and allow root SSH login to the NSX Edge command line.
By default, these options are disabled for security reasons.
- Verify that all your custom OVA template specification is accurate and click Finish to initiate the installation.
The installation might take 7-8 minutes.
- Open the console of the NSX Edge to track the boot process.
If the console window does not open, make sure that pop-ups are allowed.
- After the NSX Edge starts, log in to the CLI with admin credentials.
Note: After NSX Edge starts, if you do not log in with admin credentials for the first time, the data plane service does not automatically start on NSX Edge.
- Run the get interface eth0.<vlan_ID> command to verify that the IP address was applied as expected
nsx-edge-1> get interface eth0.100 Interface: eth0.100 Address: 192.168.110.37/24 MAC address: 00:50:56:86:62:4d MTU: 1500 Default gateway: 192.168.110.1 Broadcast address: 192.168.110.255 ...Note: When bringing up NSX Edge VMs on non-NSX managed host, verify that the MTU setting is set to 1600 (instead of 1500) on the physical host switch for the data NIC.
- Run the get managers command to verify that the NSX Edge is registered.
- 10.29.14.136 Standby - 10.29.14.135 Standby - 10.29.14.134 Connected
- Verify that the NSX Edge appliance has the required connectivity.
If you enabled SSH, make sure that you can SSH to your NSX Edge.
- You can ping your NSX Edge.
- NSX Edge can ping its default gateway.
- NSX Edge can ping the hypervisor hosts that are in the same network as the NSX Edge.
- NSX Edge can ping its DNS server and its NTP server.
- Troubleshoot connectivity problems.
Note: If connectivity is not established, make sure the VM network adapter is in the proper network or VLAN.
By default, the NSX Edge datapath claims all virtual machine NICs except the management NIC (the one that has an IP address and a default route). If you incorrectly assigned a NIC as the management interface, follow these steps to use DHCP to assign management IP address to the correct NIC.
- Log in CLI and type the stop service dataplane command.
- Type the set interface interface dhcp plane mgmt command.
- Place interface into the DHCP network and wait for an IP address to be assigned to that interface.
- Type the start service dataplane command.
The datapath fp-ethX ports used for the VLAN uplink and the tunnel overlay are shown in the get interfaces and get physical-port commands on the NSX Edge.