To establish communication between NSX Edges and NSX Manager or NSX Manager cluster, join NSX Edges with NSX Manager. You only need to register NSX Edges with one NSX Manager to ensure communication with the management plane.
Verify that you have admin privileges to log in to the NSX Edges and NSX Manager appliance.
- Open an SSH session or console session to one of the NSX Manager appliances.
- Open an SSH session or console session to the NSX Edge node VM.
- On the NSX Manager appliance, run the get certificate api thumbprint command.
The command output is a string of alphanumeric numbers that is unique to this NSX Manager.For example:
NSX-Manager1> get certificate api thumbprint 659442c1435350edbbc0e87ed5a6980d892b9118f851c17a13ec76a8b985f57
- On the NSX Edge node VM, run the join management-plane command.
Provide the following information:
- Hostname or IP address of the NSX Manager with an optional port number
- User name of the NSX Manager
- Certificate thumbprint of the NSX Manager
- Password of the NSX Manager
NSX-Edge1> join management-plane <Manager-IP> thumbprint <Manager-thumbprint> username admin
Repeat this command on each NSX Edge node VM.
- Verify the result by running the get managers command on your NSX Edge node VMs.
nsx-edge-1> get managers - 10.173.161.17 Connected (NSX-RPC) - 10.173.161.140 Connected (NSX-RPC) - 10.173.160.204 Connected (NSX-RPC)
- In the NSX Manager UI, navigate to .
On the NSX Edge Transport Node page:
- The Configuration State column displays Configure NSX. Click Configure NSX to begin configuration on the node. If the NSX Version column does not display the version number installed on the node, try refreshing the browser window.
- Before you configure NSX on the NSX Edge node, the Node Status and Tunnel Status columns display state Not Available. The Transport Zones and N-VDS switches columns display value 0, indicating there are no transport zones attached or N-VDS switches configured on the NSX Edge node.
What to do next
When installing NSX Edge using NSX Manager see Create an NSX Edge Transport Node.
When installing NSX Edge manually, see Configure an NSX Edge as a Transport Node.