NSX Federation introduces some new terms and concepts, such as remote tunnel endpoint (RTEP), span, and region.
NSX Federation Systems: Global Manager and Local Manager
Global Manager: a system similar to NSX Manager that federates multiple Local Managers.
Local Manager: an NSX Manager system in charge of network and security services for a location.
NSX Federation Span: Local and Stretched
- Local: the object spans only one location.
- Stretched: the object spans more than one location.
You do not directly configure the span of a segment. A segment has the same span as the gateway it is attached to.
NSX Federation Regions
- Location: a region is automatically created for each location. This region has the span of that location.
- Global: a region that has the span of all available locations.
- Custom Region: you can create regions that include a subset of the available locations.
NSX Federation Tunnel Endpoints
- Tunnel End Point (TEP): the IP address of a transport node (Edge node or Host) used for Geneve encapsulation within a location.
- Remote Tunnel End Points (RTEP): the IP address of a transport node (Edge node only) used for Geneve encapsulation across locations.