You can configure serial logging on an appliance VM to capture log messages when the VM crashes.
- Log in to the VM as root.
- Edit /etc/default/grub.
- Find the parameter GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAUL and append
- Run the command update-grub2.
- Verify that the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file has the change made in step 3.
- Power off the VM.
- Edit the VM's configuration (.vmx) file and add the following lines:
serial0.present = "TRUE" serial0.fileType = "file" serial0.fileName = "serial.out" serial0.yieldOnMsrRead = "TRUE" answer.msg.serial.file.open = "Append"
- Power on the VM.
If a kernel panic occurs in the VM, you can find the file serial.out containing log messages at the same location as that of the .vmx file.