Custom URLs are used in L7 access profiles as an attribute type for URL filtering, and context profiles.
NSX-T Data Center allows users to configure full or partial domain or URL with special characters. The following image depicts different elements of a URL (Uniform Resource Locator).
- Entered URL should be a valid URL. For example, www...google+com will be rejected.
- Do not include http://, https://, ftp://, etc.
- Users must enter a domain name, but may optionally include URI as well. For example, google.com and google.com/news are valid, but /news is invalid input.
- URI must not include query parameters. For example, www./google.com/query?keyboard=news will be rejected.
- Special characters * and ^ can be used for wildcard matching both in the domain name and the URI path. * will match one or more words where as ^ will match exactly one word. For example, *.google.com will match news.google.com and also local.news.google.com. However, ^ will only match news.google.com, but will not match local.news.google.com. Similarly, google.com/* will match google.com/news and also google.com/news/sanjose. However, google.com/^ will only match google.com/news, but will not match google.com/news/sanjose.
- * and ^ match only full words, they cannot be used to match partial words. For example, *google.com cannot be used to match mygoogle.com. However, *.google.com can be used to match my.google.com. Similarly, google.com/*news and google.com/n* are invalid and will be rejected.
- * and ^ can appear more than once in the URL. For example, *.google.* and *.google.com/^/news/* are valid.
- As ^ matches only a single word, two ^s back to back is allowed. For example, ^.^.google.com is valid and matches local.news.google.com, but does not match my.local.news.google.com or news.google.com. Similarly, google.com/^/^ is valid and matches google.com/news/sanjose, but does not match google.com/news or google.com/news/sanjose/today.
- When entering just the domain name (without URI), user may enter the domain name with a / at the end or without it and they have different behavior. If the user enters without an ending /, then it is treated as a partial match. For example, *.google.com will match news.google.com, news.google.com.us, news.google.com.us/, news.google.com.us/local, etc. If the user enters the domain name with a / at the end, then it is treated as an exact match. For example, *.google.com/ will match news.google.com and news.google.com/, but will not match news.google.com.us or news.google.com/local.
- When the entered URL has a path, then the presence of / at the end is not treated in any special way and the URL is treated as an exact match. For example, google.com/news/ will only match google.com/news/, but will not match google.com/news or google.com/newslatest or google.com/news/latest.
- URL matching can be used to match HTTP URL (Host header + URI) or TLS SNI. If the user specified URL has a path, it will not match the TLS SNI. However, if TLS Inspection is enabled and the traffic is decrypted, then the internal HTTP URL can be used for matching URL with path. For example, *.google.com and *.google.com/ can match HTTP URL or TLS SNI (without TLS Inspection), but *.google.com/news will not match TLS SNI (without TLS Inspection).
|espn.com||Matches: espn.com, espn.com/, espn.com.us, espn.com.us/, espn.com/sports, espn.com.us/sports/p
Does not match: premium.espn.com
|espn.com/||Matches: espn.com, espn.com/
Does not match: premium.espn.com, espn.com.us, espn.com.us/, espn.com/sports, espn.com.us/sports/
Does not match: espn.com/sportsnba, esp.com/sports/, espn.com/sports/nba
Does not match: esp.com/sports, espn.com/sports/nba
|*espn.com||Matches: premium.espn.com, replay.preimum.espn.com, instant.replay.premium.espn.com, premium.espn.com/, premium.espn.com.us, premium.espn.com.us/, premium.espn.com/sports, premium.espn.com.us/sports
Does not match: espn.com, .espn.com
|*.espn.*||Matches: www.espn.com, premium.espn.com, www.espn.us, premium.espn.com.us/, latest.espn.com/sports, www.espn.com.us/sports/ replay.premium.espn.com, instant.replay.premium.espn.com instant.replay.premium.espn.com.us/
Does not match: espn.com, www.espn
|espn.*.us/||Matches: espn.news.us, espn.news.us/, espn.local.news.us
Does not match: espn.us, www.espn.us, espn.news.us/sports
|*.espn.*/*||Matches: www.espn.com/sports, replay.premium.espn.com.us/sports/nba/
Does not match: www.espn.com, www.espn.com/
|^.espn.com||Matches: www.espn.com, www.espn.com/, www.espn.com/sports, www.espn.com.us/
Does not match: espn.com, news.local.espn.com
|^.espn.^||Matches: www.espn.com, www.espn.com/,www.espn.com.us, www.espn.com.us/sports
Does not match: news.local.espn.com, www.espn.com.us
|espn.^/||Matches: espn.com, espn.com/
Does not match: espn.com.us, espn.com/sports
Does not match www.personal.local.espn.com/sports/nba, www.local.espn.com/sports/nba/