Before you upgrade NSX-T Data Center, perform the pre-upgrade tasks to ensure that the upgrade is successful.
- For upgrade to NSX-T Data Center 188.8.131.52, run the NSX Upgrade Evaluation Tool before you begin the upgrade process. The tool is designed to ensure success by checking the upgrade readiness of your NSX Manager nodes. For more information on the tool, see the VMware knowledge base article at https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/87379.
For upgrade to NSX-T Data Center version 3.2.2 and later, the checks performed by the Upgrade Evaluation Tool are run by NSX-T Data Center as part of the upgrade pre-check.
- Ensure that your transport node profiles have the appropriate transport zones added to them. NSX Manager may not display the list of transport node profiles if any of the transport node profiles do not have transport zones added to them.
- Ensure that you backup the NSX Manager before you start the upgrade process. See the NSX-T Data Center Administration Guide.
- Ensure that your host OS is supported for NSX Manager. See Supported Hosts for NSX Managers in the NSX-T Data Center Administration Guide
- Disable automatic backups before you start the upgrade process. See the NSX-T Data Center Administration Guide for more information on configuring backups.
- Terminate any active SSH sessions or local shell scripts that may be running on the NSX Manager or the NSX Edge nodes, before you begin the upgrade process.
- Ensure that the appropriate communication ports are open from the Transport and Edge nodes to the NSX Managers. For more information on ports, see https://ports.esp.vmware.com/home/NSX-T-Data-Center.
NSX Cloud Note: NSX Cloud supports communication on port 80 between the Cloud Service Manager appliance installed on-premises with the NSX Public Cloud Gateway installed in your public cloud VPC/VNet.
- You need a valid license to use licensed features like T0, T1, Segments, and NSX intelligence. Ensure that you have a valid license.
- For upgrade to NSX-T Data Center 3.2.0 and 184.108.40.206, see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/87765 for information on preparing your Edge VMs for upgrade.
- Ensure that you have configured the SFTP server and are using a complex passphrase.
- Delete all expired user accounts before you begin upgrade. Upgrade for NSX-T Data Center on vSphere fails if your exception list for vSphere lockdown mode includes expired user accounts. For more information on accounts with access privileges in lockdown mode, see Specifying Accounts with Access Privileges in Lockdown Mode in the vSphere Security Guide.