Backups are saved to a file server that NSX Manager can access. You must configure the location of this server before a backup can occur.
Verify that you have the SSH fingerprint of the backup file server. Only an SHA256 hashed ECDSA key is accepted as a fingerprint. See Find the SSH Fingerprint of a Remote Server.
- Log in to the NSX Manager Virtual Appliance.
- Click System > Utilities > Backup.
- To provide access credentials to the backup location, click Edit in the upper right of the page.
- Click the Automatic Backup toggle to enable automatic backups.
- Enter the IP address or host name of the backup file server.
- Edit the default port if required.
- Enter the username and password required to log in to the backup file server.
- In the Destination Directory field, enter the absolute directory path where the backups will be stored.
The directory must already exist.
- Enter the passphrase used to encrypt the backup data.
You will need this passphrase to restore a backup. If you forget the backup passphrase, you cannot restore any backups.
- Enter the SSH fingerprint of the server that stores the backups. See Find the SSH Fingerprint of a Remote Server.
- Click Save.
- Click Backup Now on the bottom of the page to confirm that files can be written to the backup file server.
What to do next
Schedule automated backups.