Firewall rules can be created using a custom protocol number that is not listed in the protocols drop-down menu.
About this task
A firewall rule with a custom protocol number can be created on the distributed firewall or the NSX Edge firewall.
- In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to .
- Ensure that you are in the General tab to add an L3 rule. Click the Add rule () icon.
- Click Publish Changes.
A new any allow rule is added at the top of the section. If the system-defined rule is the only rule in the section, the new rule is added above the default rule.
If you want to add a rule at a specific place in a section, select a rule. In the No. column, click and select Add Above or Add Below.
- Point to the Name cell of the new rule and click .
- Type a name for the new rule.
- Specify theSource of the new rule. See Add a Firewall Rule for icon details.
- Specify the Destination of the new rule. See Add a Firewall Rule for details.
- Point to the Service cell of the new rule. Click the Add Service () icon
- Click New Service on the bottom left of the Specify Service window.
- Enter the Name of the new protocol (such as OSPF).
- From the Protocols drop-down menu select L3_OTHERS.
A Protocol Number field appears under the drop-down menu.
- Enter the Protocol Number (such as 89 for OSPF).
- Click OK.
A firewall rule has been created using a custom protocol number.