Universal transport zones control the hosts that a universal logical switch can reach. A universal transport zone is created by the primary NSX Manager and is replicated to the secondary NSX Managers. Universal transport zones can span one or more vSphere clusters across the cross-vCenter NSX environment.
About this task
After creation, a universal transport zone is available on all secondary NSX Managers in the cross-vCenter NSX environment. There can be only one universal transport zone.
Configure a universal transport zone after a primary NSX Manager has been created.
- Using the vSphere Web Client, log in to the vCenter Server system registered with the primary NSX Manager.
If the vCenter Server systems in your cross-vCenter NSX environment are in Enhanced Linked Mode, you can access any associated NSX Manager from any linked vCenter Server system by selecting it from the NSX Manager drop-down menu.
- Navigate to Home > Networking & Security > Installation and select the Logical Network Preparation tab.
- Verify the correct NSX Manager is selected in the NSX Manager drop-down menu.
- Click Transport Zones and click the New Transport Zone () icon.
- Select Mark this object for universal synchronization.
This transport zone will be synchronized with the secondary NSX Managers.
- Select the control plane mode:
Multicast: Multicast IP addresses in the physical network are used for the control plane. This mode is recommended only when you are upgrading from older VXLAN deployments. Requires PIM/IGMP in the physical network.
Unicast: The control plane is handled by an NSX controller. All unicast traffic leverages optimized headend replication. No multicast IP addresses or special network configuration is required.
Hybrid: Offloads local traffic replication to the physical network (L2 multicast). This requires IGMP snooping on the first-hop switch and access to an IGMP querier in each VTEP subnet, but does not require PIM. The first-hop switch handles traffic replication for the subnet.
- Select the clusters to add to the transport zone.
The universal transport zone is available on all NSX Managers in the cross-vCenter NSX environment.
What to do next
Next, create a universal logical switch.