You can back up NSX Manager data by performing an on-demand backup or a scheduled backup.
- Log in to the NSX Manager Virtual Appliance.
- Under Appliance Management, click Backups & Restore.
- To specify the backup location, click Change next to FTP Server Settings.
- Type the IP address or host name of the backup system.
- From the Transfer Protocol drop-down menu, select either SFTP or FTP, based on what the destination supports.
- Edit the default port if required.
- Type the user name and password required to login to the backup system.
- In the Backup Directory field, type the absolute path where backups will be stored.
To determine the absolute path, you can log in to the FTP server, navigate to the directory that you want to use, and run the present working directory command (pwd). For example:
PS C:\Users\Administrator> ftp 192.168.110.60 Connected to 192.168.110.60. 220 server-nfs FTP server ready. User (192.168.110.60:(none)): admin 331 Password required for admin. Password: 230 User admin logged in. ftp> ls 200 PORT command successful. 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'file list'. datastore-01 226 Transfer complete. ftp: 22 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 22000.00Kbytes/sec. ftp> cd datastore-01 250 CWD command successful. ftp> pwd 257 "/datastore-01" is current directory.
- Type a text string in Filename Prefix.
This text is prepended to each backup filename for easy recognition on the backup system. For example, if you type ppdb, the resulting backup is named as ppdbHH_MM_SS_DayDDMonYYYY.Note:
Files in the Backup Directory must be limited to 100. If number of files in the directory exceeds the limit, you will receive a warning message.
- Type the pass phrase to secure the backup.
You will need this pass phrase to restore the backup.
- Click OK.
- For an on-demand backup, click Backup.
A new file is added under Backup History.
- Required: For scheduled backups, click Change next to Scheduling.
- From the Backup Frequency drop-down menu, select Hourly, Daily, or Weekly. The Day of Week, Hour of Day, and Minute drop-down menus are disabled based on the selected frequency. For example, if you select Daily, the Day of Week drop-down menu is disabled as this field is not applicable to a daily frequency.
- For a weekly backup, select the day of the week the data should be backed up.
- For a weekly or daily backup, select the hour at which the backup should begin.
- Select the minute to begin and click Schedule.
- To exclude logs and flow data from being backed up, click Change next to Exclude.
- Select the items you want to exclude from the backup.
- Click OK.
- Save your FTP server IP/hostname, credentials, directory details, and pass phrase. This information is needed to restore the backup.