You can add and assign an NSX for vSphere license using the vSphere Web Client.
About this task
Starting in NSX 6.2.3, the default license upon install will be NSX for vShield Endpoint. This license enables use of NSX for deploying and managing vShield Endpoint for anti-virus offload capability only, and has hard enforcement to restrict usage of VXLAN, firewall, and Edge services, by blocking host preparation and creation of NSX Edges.
If you need other NSX features, including logical switches, logical routers, Distributed Firewall, or NSX Edge, you must either purchase an NSX license to use these features, or request an evaluation license for short-term evaluation of the features.
Starting in NSX 6.4.0, you must be a member of the LicenseService.Administrators group to manage licenses.
For information about the NSX licencing editions and associated features, see https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2145269.
For more information about VMware product licensing, see http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vmware-product-guide.pdf.
For more information about managing license in vSphere, see the vCenter Server and Host Management documentation for your version of vSphere.
Verify that all vCenter users who manage NSX licenses are in the LicenseService.Administrators group.
If you have multiple vCenter Server systems using the same Platform Services Controller, and multiple NSX Managers registered with those vCenter Servers, you must combine the licenses for the NSX Manager appliances into one license. See https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/53750 for more information. See https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2006973 for information about combining licenses.
- Log in to the vSphere Web Client.
- Click Administration and then click Licenses.
- Click the Assets tab, then the Solutions tab.
- Select NSX for vSphere in the Solutions list. From the All Actions drop-down menu, select Assign license....
- Click the Add () icon. Enter a license key and click Next. Add a name for the license, and click Next. Click Finish to add the license.
- Select the new license.
- (Optional) Click the View Features icon to view what features are enabled with this license.
- Click OK to assign the new license to NSX.