The integration architecture explains the information exchanged between a Kubernetes cluster that uses Antrea CNI and the NSX Manager Appliance, which is deployed in NSX.
This documentation does not explain the functions of Antrea components in a Kubernetes (K8s) cluster. To understand the Antrea architecture and the functions of Antrea components in a Kubernetes cluster, see the Antrea documentation portal at https://antrea.io/docs.
This main objective of this documentation is to understand the functions of the Antrea NSX Adapter that integrates a Kubernetes cluster with Antrea CNI to the NSX Manager Appliance.
Antrea NSX Adapter
- Management Plane Adapter (MP Adapter)
- Central Control Plane Adapter (CCP Adapter)
Management Plane Adapter communicates with the NSX Management Plane (Policy), Kubernetes API Server, and Antrea Controller. Central Control Plane Adapter communicates with the NSX Central Control Plane (CCP) and Kubernetes API Server.
Functions of the Management Plane Adapter
- Watches the Kubernetes resource inventory from Kubernetes API and reports the inventory to NSX Manager. Resource inventory of an Antrea Kubernetes cluster includes resources, such as Pods, Ingress, Services, Network Policies, Namespaces, and Nodes.
- Responds to the policy statistics query from NSX Manager. It receives the statistics from the Antrea Controller API or the statistics that are exported by the Antrea Agent on each K8s worker node, and reports the statistics to NSX Manager.
- Receives troubleshooting operation requests from NSX Manager, sends the requests to Antrea Controller API server, collects the results, and returns the information to NSX Manager. Examples of troubleshooting operations include Traceflow requests, Support Bundle collection requests, log collection requests.
- Watches the runtime state and health status of an Antrea Kubernetes cluster from the Antrea Monitoring CustomResourceDefinition (CRD) objects and reports the status to NSX Manager. The status is reported on a per cluster basis. For example, the health status of the following components is reported to NSX Manager:
- Management Plane Adapter
- Central Control Plane Adapter
- Antrea Controller
- Antrea Agents
Functions of the Central Control Plane Adapter
- Receives the Distributed Firewall (DFW) rules and groups from NSX Central Control Plane, translates them to Antrea policies, and creates Antrea policy CRDs in K8s API.
- Watches the policy realization status from both K8s network polices and native Antrea policy CRDs and reports the status to NSX Central Control Plane.
Stateless Nature of the Central Control Plane Adapter
- The latest Antrea policies are always pushed to K8s API as native Antrea policy CRDs.
- The stale policy CRDs are removed if the corresponding security policies are deleted in NSX.