You can select existing tags that are available in the NSX inventory or create new tags to add to an object.
The following procedure explains the steps for adding tags to a single object. For this documentation, the segment object is considered. The steps for adding tags to other objects remain the same. You can navigate to the specific object page, and follow similar steps to add tags to that object.
For information about the maximum number of tags supported for objects in NSX, see the VMware Configuration Maximums tool at https://configmax.vmware.com/home.
- From your browser, log in to an NSX Manager at https://nsx-manager-ip-address.
- Ensure that you are in the edit mode of an object to assign tags to it. Objects can be segments, groups, tier-0 gateways, tier-1 gateways, and so on.
For example, to tag segments, click Edit.. Next to the segment that you want to edit, click , and then click
- In the Tag drop-down menu, enter a tag name. When you are done, click Add Item(s).
The maximum length of the tag name is 256 characters.
If tags exist in the inventory, the Tag drop-down menu displays a list of the available tags and their scope. You can select an existing tag from the drop-down menu and assign it to the segment.Note: If you are assigning a tag to the virtual machine, do not assign the Edge_NSGroup tag to the VM. The system automatically assigns this tag to edge VMs for including them in the DFW exclusion list.
- (Optional) Enter a tag scope.
For example, let us say, you want to tag segments based on department names, such as sales, marketing, finance, and so on, in your organization. Create tags such as sales, marketing, and finance, and set the scope of each tag to department.The maximum length of the scope is 128 characters.
If you selected an existing tag from the inventory, the scope of the selected tag is applied automatically. Otherwise, you can enter a scope for the new tag that you are creating.
- Click the + icon or press Enter.
The tag is added to the segment.
- Add more tags to the segment, if required.
- Click Save.