You can use VMware Remote Console to reconnect an existing virtual hard disk that was removed from a virtual machine.
Verify that the VMDK file for the existing hard disk is located on the target virtual machine.
- Access the target virtual machine in VMware Remote Console.
- If you want to add an IDE hard disk, power off the virtual machine.
Note: Adding an IDE hard disk is not supported in Linux. The VMware Remote Console Linux client cannot perform operations on powered-off virtual machines.
- Open the virtual machine settings in VMware Remote Console.
- On Windows, select .
- On Linux, select .
- On the Hardware tab, click Add to start the Add Hardware Wizard.
- Select Hard Disk and click Next.
- Select the desired hard disk type and click Next.
Add an IDE device. This option is available only on powered-off virtual machines.
Add a SCSI device.
Add a SATA device.
Add an NVMe device.
- Select Use an existing virtual disk and click Next.
- Select the file for the desired hard disk.
- Click Finish.