This section describes how to configure Visibility mode.
About Visibility Mode
Even though tracking by MAC Address is ideal (providing a global unique identifier), there’s a lack of visibility when an L3 switch is located between the client and the Edge because the switch MAC is known to the Edge, not the device MAC. Therefore, two tracking modes (MAC Address and now IP Address) are available. When tracking by MAC address is not possible, IP address will be used instead.
Choosing Visiblity Mode
- Visibility by MAC address
- Visibility by IP address
Considerations for Using Visibility Mode
Keep in mind the following when choosing a Visibility mode:
- If Visibility by MAC address is selected:
- Clients are behind L2 SW
- Client MAC, IP and Hostname (if applicable) will appear
- Stats are collected based on MAC
- If Visibility by IP address is selected:
- Clients are behind L3 SW
- SW MAC, Client IP and Hostname (if applicable) will appear
- Stats are collected based on IP