- When you repurpose the Edge for another site, you must clear the existing configuration so that the Edge can be activated to the new site.
- Your site is encountering an issue for which VMware SD-WAN Support recommends that you perform a hard reset to revert the Edge to factory settings and reactivate the Edge to the site to see if that resolves the issue.
- The Edge is inaccessible or non-responsive and multiple power cycles are not resolving the issue. It is recommended that you perform a hard reset to revert the Edge to factory settings and see if that resolves the issue.
- Soft Reset or Deactivation—The Edge is deactivated and all the existing configuration that the Edge is using is completely removed. The Edge now uses the original factory configuration. However, the Edge software is not affected and it retains the software version it had prior to the soft reset. A soft reset Edge can be reactivated to another site or to the same site.
- Hard Reset—The Edge is fully reset to factory settings, that is the Edge is not only deactivated and uses the factory configuration, but the Edge software is also changed to the factory software version. The Edge is effectively as it was when it was shipped from the factory.
If you reset an Edge that is actively used at a site, you will completely lose the client device connectivity at the site until you either reactivate the same Edge at the site or activate another Edge at the site.
For instructions on how to reset an Edge to factory settings, see How to Factory Reset a VMware SD-WAN Edge.