Analytics functionality is built natively into the VMware SD-WAN Edge and enables collecting data inline. However, by default, Analytics is disabled for Edges. For Enterprise customers with Analytics enabled, SD-WAN Orchestrator allows the Enterprise Administrators to create Edges with Analytics enabled.
- Ensure that all the necessary system properties to enable Analytics are properly set in the SD-WAN Orchestrator. For more information, contact your Operator Super User.
- Ensure that the Analytics functionality is enabled for the Customer before provisioning an Analytics Edge.
Note: For more information, see VMware Edge Network Intelligence Configuration Guide available at https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-SD-WAN/index.html.
- In the Enterprise portal, navigate to Manage Customers.
- Select a customer and then go to Configure > Edges.
The Edges screen appears.
- Click New Edge at the top-right corner of the screen.
The Provision New Edge dialog box appears.
- In the Name textbox, enter a unique name for the Edge.
- From the Model drop-down menu, select an Edge model.
- From the Analytics drop-down menu, select one of the following Analytics modes to be configured for the Edge:
Under the Analytics drop-down menu, you can find the remaining number of Analytics licenses that is available to be provisioned as an Analytics Edge. As an Administrator, you can also change the Analytics mode for a specific Edge from the Edge Overview screen.
- Application Analytics - Gains access to fault isolation and Application-specific Analytics.
- Application and Branch Analytics - Gains access to Application-specific Analytics and Branch Analytics.
- By default, None is selected, which implies Analytics is disabled for the Edge.
- From the Profile drop-down menu, select a profile to be assigned to the Edge.
- From the Edge License drop-down menu, select an Edge License from the available list. The list displays the licenses assigned to the Enterprise, by the Operator.
- From the Authentication drop-down menu, you can select one of the following certificate-based authentication options:
- Certificate Disabled - Edge uses a pre-shared key mode of authentication.
- Certificate Acquire - This option is selected by default, and instructs the Edge to acquire a certificate from the certificate authority of the SD-WAN Orchestrator, by generating a key pair and sending a certificate signing request to the Orchestrator. Once acquired, the Edge uses the certificate for authentication to the SD-WAN Orchestrator and for establishment of VCMP tunnels.
Note: After acquiring the certificate, the option can be updated to Certificate Required.
- Certificate Required - Edge uses the PKI certificate.
- In the Custom Info textbox, enter custom information associated with the Edge, if needed.
Customer information should not exceed 255 characters.Note: Super User and Standard Admin users of Enterprise/MSP/Operator roles (with UPDATE_EDGE privilege) can add or update the Custom Info for an Edge.
- To apply High Availability (HA), select the High Availability checkbox.
- In the Serial Number textbox, enter the serial number of the Edge, which is optional. If specified, the serial number must match the serial number of the Edge when activated.
- In the Contact Name and Contact Email textboxes, enter the name and email address of the site contact for the Edge.
- Click the Set Location link to set the location of the Edge.
- Click Create.
An Analytic Edge is provisioned for the selected customer. Once the Edge is provisioned, the Analytics functionality collects data, performs deep packet inspection of all traffic, identifies network application and correlates traffic with user information.
What to do next
To send the collected analytics data to the Cloud Analytics Engine, you must configure an Analytics interface on which the Edge transmits Analytics data. for more information, see Configure an Analytics Interface on an Edge.