If the status of a vSphere Replication protection group is Not Configured, you can configure protection for all of the unconfigured virtual machines by using existing site-wide inventory mappings, in one step.
About this task
Site Recovery Manager applies site-wide inventory mappings to virtual machines in vSphere Replication protection groups when you create the protection group. If you change the site-wide inventory mappings after you create a vSphere Replication protection group or add virtual machines to a vSphere Replication protection group, the virtual machines continue to recover with the original inventory mappings. To apply new inventory mappings, you must reconfigure protection on the virtual machines in the protection group.
The status of a protection group can be Not Configured for several reasons:
You did not configure site-wide inventory mappings before you created the protection group.
You did not configure placeholder datastore mappings before you created the protection group.
You added virtual machines to a protection group after you created it.
Virtual machines lost their protection, possibly because you reconfigured them after you added them to a protection group. For example, you added or removed virtual disks or devices.
- In the vSphere Web Client, click .
- On the VMware Site Recovery home tab, select a site pair and click Open.
- Select the Protection Groups tab, select a protection group, and on the right pane, click the Virtual Machines tab.
- Click the Configure All VMs icon.
At least one virtual machine in the protection group must be in the Not Configured state for the Configure All VMs button to be activated.
If Site Recovery Manager successfully applied inventory mappings to the virtual machines, the status of the protection group is OK.
If Site Recovery Manager was unable to apply some or all of the inventory mappings, the status of the virtual machines is Not Configured or Mapping Missing.
If Site Recovery Manager applied the inventory mappings, but was unable to create placeholders for virtual machines, the status of the virtual machines is Placeholder VM creation error.
- (Optional) If the status of the virtual machines is Not Configured or Mapping Missing, check the inventory mappings and click Configure All VMs again.
- (Optional) If the status of the virtual machines is Placeholder VM creation error, check the placeholder datastore mapping and try to recreate the placeholder virtual machines.
To recreate the placeholder for an individual virtual machine, right-click a virtual machine and select Recreate Placeholder.
To recreate the placeholder for several virtual machines, right-click the protection group and select Restore All Placeholder VMs.