You deploy a Site Recovery Manager Server on each remote site to use with a shared VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC.
For each remote site, you must deploy one instance of Site Recovery Manager Server and vSphere Replication appliance at the on-premises site and activate one instance of VMware Site Recovery in the shared VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC. You can only pair Site Recovery Manager Server instances that have the same Site Recovery Manager extension ID. Each remote site must include its own vCenter Server instance. You can connect up to 10 remote sites to a single shared VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC.
You deploy a Site Recovery Manager Server instance on your remote on-premises site by running the Site Recovery Manager installer. See Install Site Recovery Manager Server.
You deploy a Site Recovery Manager Server instance on your remote VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC by activating VMware Site Recovery. See Activate VMware Site Recovery.
- Download the Site Recovery Manager installation file to a folder on the Site Recovery Manager Server host.
- Double-click the Site Recovery Manager installer, select an installation language, and click OK.
- Follow the prompts to begin the Site Recovery Manager installation.
- At the SRM Plug-in ID page, select Custom SRM Plug-in Identifier, provide information to identify this custom Site Recovery Manager extension, and click Next.
Option Description SRM ID Enter a unique identifier for this pair of Site Recovery Manager Server instances. The Site Recovery Manager ID can be a string of up to 29 ASCII characters from the set of ASCII upper- lower-case characters, digits, the underscore, the period, and the hyphen. You cannot use the underscore, period, and hyphen as the first or last characters of the Site Recovery Manager ID, and they cannot appear next to one another. The identifier is case-sensitive. The com.vmware.vcDr- prefix is automatically included. Organization To specify the organization that created the extension, enter a string of up to 50 ASCII characters. Description To provide a description of the extension, enter a string of up to 50 ASCII characters.
- Follow the prompts to complete the remainder of the installation.
- Repeat the procedure on each of the remote sites.
Connect each Site Recovery Manager Server to its own vCenter Server instance. Assign a unique Site Recovery Manager ID to each Site Recovery Manager Server.
What to do next
For each Site Recovery Manager Server that you installed on a remote site, activate a corresponding VMware Site Recovery instance on the shared VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC.