You can add a vCenter Server to the Skyline Collector for product usage data collection.
A user account with the following vCenter Server permissions is required to configure vCenter Server for the product use data collection.
vCenter Server built-in read-only role
For detailed instructions for how to create a user account with the above permissions, please see Knowledge Base Article 59661.
- Enter the vCenter Server details.
- Enter the vCenter Server or fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) or IP address.
- Enter the vCenter Server read-only user account username.
- Enter the password for the user account specified in the previous step.
- If you are using an external Platform Services Controller (PSC), Single-Sign On (SSO) provider or have a custom SSO domain, toggle the Use Custom SSO Configuration switch to Yes.
- Enter the PSC/SSO server or fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) or IP address.
- If you are using the default PSC/SSO provider configuration, you do not need to complete the Advanced Options (optional) fields. Complete the SSO Admin URL, SSO STS URL and Lookup Service URL only if you specified a custom configuration during the deployment of your PSC or SSO provider.
For additional details regarding your PSC/SSO provider configuration, please see the vCenter Server vpxd.cfg file.
In vCenter Server Appliance 6.x, the vpxd.cfg file is located at /etc/vmware-vpx/.
In Windows Server, the vpxd.cfg file is located at C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\vpxd.cfg.
In vCenter Server 6.0, the vpxd.cfg file is located at C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\cfg\vmware-vpx.
- If you do not want to collect product usage data from all data centers connected to the vCenter Server you are configuring, toggle the Collect from all Datacenters switch to No, then click Add. An invalid certificate warning may appear. This is expected, click Continue. Select the checkbox next to each data center that you want to collect product usage data for. When finished selecting data centers, click Enable Selected Datacenters.
- Click Add to complete the addition of vCenter Server to the Skyline Collector for product usage data collection.
- Click Continue.
You now receive proactive findings for the VMware vSphere environment managed by the vCenter Server, that you have added to Skyline Collector. You can add additional vCenter Servers to the Skyline Collector within the Skyline Collector user interface.
Disabling product usage data collection from all data centers may prohibit VMware from providing an optimal support experience.