Updated on: 26 NOV 2019
VMware Skyline Collector™ 2.3 Release Notes | 26 November 2019
NOTE: These Release Notes do not provide the terms applicable to your license. Consult the VMware Product Guide and VMware End User License Agreement for the license metrics and other license terms applicable to your use of VMware Skyline Collector.
Check for additions and updates to these release notes.
What's in the Release NotesThe release notes cover the following topics:
- About VMware Skyline Collector
- What's New in this Release
- Proactive Findings Support
- Resolved Issues
- Upgrade Instructions
VMware Skyline™ is a proactive support service aligned with VMware Global Support Services. VMware Skyline automatically and securely collects, aggregates, and analyzes product usage data which proactively identifies potential problems and helps VMware Technical Support Engineers improve time-to-resolution.
This enables richer, more informed interactions between customers and VMware without extensive time investments by Technical Support Engineers. These capabilities transform support operations from reactive, break/fix to a proactive, predictive, and prescriptive experience that produces an even greater return on your VMware support investment.
For more information, see the VMware Skyline Documentation Center.
Support for Transferring Horizon Connection Server Log Bundles with Log Assist
Customers can now upload Horizon Connection Server support log bundles to VMware Global Support Services (GSS) using Skyline Log Assist. Horizon Connection Servers added to a Skyline Collector can now be chosen within the Select Inventory step of Initiate Log Transfer.
Note: Horizon 7 v7.10, is required to enable the transferring of Horizon Connection Server support log bundles using Skyline Log Assist. See KB Article 59661 for the required permissions to enable remote support log bundle collection for Horizon Connection Server.
Anonymous Bind No-Longer Required for Active Directory Authentication
Previous to Skyline Collector 2.3, anonymous-bind was required to be configured for Active Directory in-order to successfully add a user, or group, to the Skyline Collector. Anonymous bind is no-longer required to add a user, or group, to the Skyline Collector. An Active Directory user account is now used to bind Active Directory to the Skyline Collector, for the purposes of allowing a user, or group, to access the Skyline Collector user interface.
The deployment of the Skyline Collector is supported on VMware products and solutions that are Generally Available, and have not met their End of General Support date.
While the deployment of the Skyline Collector is only supported on VMware products and solutions that are Generally Available and have not reached End of General Support, Skyline provides proactive findings and recommendations for the following versions of VMware products and solutions, some of which have passed their End of General Support date. The proactive findings identified for each of the below solutions (if applicable to your environment) can be viewed within Skyline Advisor.
The following versions of VMware products and solutions can be added to the Skyline Collector, for identification of potential issues related to each solution, and delivery of proactive recommendations for issue avoidance within Skyline Advisor.
- VMware vCenter Server: 5.5 and higher.
- VMware ESXi: 5.5 and higher.
- VMware NSX for vSphere: 6.2 and higher.
- VMware vSAN: 6.0 and higher.
- Horizon View 7: 7.0 and higher.
- vRealize Operations Manager: 6.6 and higher.
For example, Skyline identifies all ESXi 5.5 objects within a vCenter Server and provides additional information from VMware Knowledge Base article 51491, which details the end of general support for vSphere 5.5.
The following issues are resolved in this version of Skyline Collector.
- Consistent user interface for products - The wizards for adding, or editing, a product within the Skyline Collector user interface have been updated to provide a consistent experience.
- NSX -V - Downloading an NSX Manager support log bundle fails if NSX does not have Edges configured.
- vRealize Operations - Adding vRealize Operations to Skyline Collector with an account that contains a '\' fails. This might also affect already configured vRealize Operations Managers. The result was a failure to collect product usage data for vRealize Operations.
Follow these steps to upgrade to this version of VMware Skyline Collector:
- Open a web browser and enter the URL for the Skyline Collector VAMI: https://
- Log in using the root username and and password.
- Click Login.
- Click Update.
- Click Check Updates.
- If an update is available, click Install Updates.
If Check Updates does not return that an Update is available, verify if your Skyline Collector virtual appliance can access over port 443.